Hair loss can be a very stressful experience, but there are steps you can take to prevent it and actually promote hair growth. At Cheeky Curls we're firm believers that your hair care regimen should be a holistic approach. Here are some tips that are safe and can be effective in reducing hair loss and promoting hair growth:
Disclosure: We only recommend products we would use ourselves. All opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links and we may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you.
Diet and Nutrition
- Eat a balanced diet: Aim for plenty of fruits, vegetables,and whole grains such as whole wheat/barley/rice, and protein rich foods such as lean meat, eggs, berries, shrimp, fatty fish, tofu, legumes, nuts and cottage cheese. These foods provide essential nutrients that nourish your hair follicles and promote healthy growth.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps keep your scalp and hair hydrated, which can prevent dryness and breakage.
- Consider supplements: Consult your doctor about taking supplements like biotin, iron, or vitamin D, which may be beneficial for hair health if you have deficiencies.
- We recommend the hair vitamin Nutrafol for women as an all around good option.
- Gentle cleansing: Avoid harsh shampoos and sulfates, which can strip your hair of its natural oils. Opt for gentle, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners instead.
- Scalp massage: Regularly massaging your scalp can improve blood circulation and stimulate hair follicles. The Heeta scalp massager is a highly regarded 5 star favorite.
- Hair masques: A great hair masque (hair mask) can help preserve the health of your hair and scalp, along with improving damaged tresses and stimulating hair growth. When selecting a hair masque, avoid products with preservatives and harsh chemicals, which can further damage your hair. The Cheeky Curls Herbal Hair Masque is a natural hair treatment with powerhouse hair growth ingredients like rosemary, eucalyptus, kukui seed oil and ferulic acid to name a few.
- Limit heat styling: Avoid excessive heat styling with blow dryers, straighteners, or curling irons, as this can damage your hair. If you must use heat, apply a heat protectant spray beforehand.
- Protective hairstyles: Avoid tight hairstyles like ponytails or braids that can pull on your hair and lead to breakage. Opt for looser styles and give your hair a break from styling products and accessories. Spiral hair ties such as these will hold your hair in place without damaging your locks.
- Manage stress: Chronic stress can contribute to hair loss. Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as yoga, meditation, journaling, walking, or spending time in nature.
- Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night. When you're well-rested, your body is better able to repair and grow hair.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is a major risk factor for hair loss. If you smoke, quitting is one of the best things you can do for your overall health, including your hair.
- Get medical advice: If you experience sudden or excessive hair loss, it's important to see your doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions. Your doctor might also be able to prescribe medications to promote hair growth depending on the cause of your hair loss.
- Pay attention to your body: If there are other changes happening to your body and/or hormones, discuss them thoroughly with your doctor.
- Talk to a dermatologist: If you have concerns about your hair loss, a dermatologist can help you identify the cause and recommend the best treatment options.
- Consider laser therapy: Low-level laser therapy is a safe and effective treatment for hair loss that has been shown to stimulate hair growth.
We hope these tips help to keep your hair growing strong.